I’ve never really been a huge life planner. A small part within me cries when someone asks “where do you want to be in 5 years?” However recently, I’ve had a change of heart. I’m not sure if it’s because I am in a very stable and happy relationship which I want to continue to grow with or the reality that I’ll be 27 years old in 5 years has hit me hard. Either way, I’ve actually come up with 5 big goals for the next 5 years in my life. I wanted to document them here so that I can always look back to see how many I’ve achieved, or something cute like that anyway. Allow me to fill you in…
01. For as long as I can remember, Olly has always said he wants to travel to Japan. He loves the culture, the architecture, the food and the simplicity. The man is obsessed and luckily for him, so am I. We want to plan a 2 week trip starting off in Tokyo, making our way down to Kyoto and then Osaka. I think we will probably spend most of our time in Kyoto and Osaka than Tokyo but we can’t wait to revel in the surroundings either way. The more we talk about it, the more excited Olly gets, which makes the 11 hour flight seem okay. I can’t wait to visit the temples, eat ramen and feed the deer in Nara. Fingers crossed we can get there!
02. Another big trip that we want to tick off is a 2 or 3 week trip in America. Admittedly, this one is more for me and I’ve convinced Olly just like he did with me for Japan. We would love to travel across a few states over a long period of time just taking in absolutely everything. If that won’t cure my flying anxiety, I don’t know what will! I want to keep the states a surprise for now, but I will mention that one of my top 3 dream destinations has always been San Francisco so that’s definitely on the list! I can’t wait to take cute couple photos by the Golden Gate bridge, visit the painted ladies and do a spot of dog watching as well as track down the Mrs Doubtfire house! Priorities are in check, guys.
03. Once we get our 2 big travels out of the way, Olly and I are set on moving out together. Obviously it would be perfect if we could jump straight into a mortgage, but we know that realistically we won’t be able to afford and we aren’t in a position that we can stay at home until we’re 30 to save. We aren’t too fussed on renting if it means we will have our own place to call home. As long as it has everything we want and need, we will be happy as clams together. It’s a big adult move but we are both ready for it. We also want to become fur baby parents. Eventually we want a little Dachshund by our sides but until then we are desperate for our own cat. Preferably a Maine coon, the fluffier the better you guys.
04. Probably one of the biggest life changes that I hope will happen is getting engaged! It sounds so big and adult like discussing it now but in 5 years time Olly and I will both be 27. I never wanted to get married before I met Olly but now that I have him (and he’s an incredible human being) I’ve gotta lock him down girls! I kid, I kid. Obviously, I personally have no control over this goal but it’s very reassuring that I am with someone who shares this one with me. We aren’t huge party people so I doubt we would have a big wedding day or even have a wedding day at all – Elopement could be on the cards.
05. Finally, a goal just for me. In 5 years time, I want to be happy, stable and comfortable in myself. We are all a working progress and I wish to use the next 5 years (+ the many, many years after that) to better myself. I hope to be in a secure job that not only pays the bills well, but also makes me happy. I hope to be confident in my own skin and I hope to be the best version of myself. I’m already excited to meet 27 year old me.
What do you guys think to setting yearly goals? Are you a fan or more of a live for now kinda person? I’d love to hear your thoughts…